Friday, 12 August 2016

Foodies Festival - Birmingham



June saw the return of Foodies Festival in Birmingham back in its residence of Cannon Hill Park.
Mine was only a fleeting visit due to being somewhat of a ‘social butterfly’ that weekend sadly (places to visit, too little time), but nevertheless, I was still able to take it all in and enjoy what was on offer albeit for a short while.


Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

Visiting on Saturday morning, arriving prior to the 11am gate opening, I thought I’d be first in the queue but clearly others had the same idea as me to get there pronto as there were a good number of people there ready and waiting.  The advantages were that before the crowds descended, we could have a good look round without too many people to jostle with.
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

Some of the usual traders were there from the Birmingham food scene as well as one or two I recognised from last year’s festival.  But equally, there were some new faces including some new streetfood vendors.

Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

I particularly loved Coco Labelle in their powder blue van boasting inspired foods from Sicily, Jamaica and Mauritius.  I wanted to try their sweet potato offering but it had already been prepared with chillis (which I’m allergic to) so I couldn’t have any.  I was gutted and they too were genuinely disappointed they couldn’t help me.  May be next time….
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

A whole marquee was dedicated to Mary Berry’s range of sauces which attracted a swarm of people who were dipping cut up baguette chunks into sample pots – and very nice they were too.

Photo:  Word In Veg Ways
Harry from GingerBeard’s Preserves overheard my enquiry for soda bread and gave me his own recipe which I keep meaning to try (and when I do, I’ll blog about it).

Seeds of Change were giving out free chive seeds and again, I am yet to grow mine but hopefully I’ll have a nice batch of herbs on my kitchen windowsill before too long.  (Really must get my act together)….


Photo:  Word In Veg Ways
New Bailey’s Coffee was being offered out as samples and I have to say, it was incredibly moreish.  With a good amount of Bailey’s in it, I could have gotten quite merry had I have had a standard mug full, so probably a good thing it was restricted to one sample per person.

Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

Also, I was lucky enough to catch up with Katy Beskow (Lil Miss Meat Free) who was preparing for her demo in the theatre tent.  Having done an interview with her a few weeks prior so it was lovely to meet her in person.  Amongst other dishes, she was going to make a vegan panna cotta which looked really delicious.


With still a good month of the summer to go, there are plenty of cities yet to host their version of Foodies Festival, so if there is one near you, it is definitely worth visiting, making a day of it and seeing what foodie delights you can pick up and if you’re not driving, just head straight for fabulous cocktail stands!


~~~
Disclosure:    This post has been written following a complimentary invitation to  attend the Foodies Festival.  This review was conducted honestly without bias and I was not required to produce a positive review.  For further details of my PR policy, please see the Press, PR & Food Writing page of this website.  




No comments:

Post a Comment