Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Father's Day Menu at Chaophraya



Photo: Word In Veg Ways
When I was telling people that I was going to Thai Restaurant Chaophraya in the Bullring, they weren’t sure where I meant, until I said “it’s the one covered with grass by the church”“ah yes!” they’d exclaim.  Clearly known for the grass rather than the name.
 
Photo: Word In Veg Ways

But saying that, upon arrival and during the course of my visit, it was busy, packed with people inside and out, so whether known for its grass or its name, it seems a popular haunt.
 
Photo: Word In Veg Ways

Welcomed with a true Thai greeting by two ladies in Thai national dress, I liked the fact that a little Thai spirit could be found in central Birmingham.
 
Photo: Word In Veg Ways

Taken upstairs to their private area, it was all prepped for sampling their Father’s Day menu coupled with tasters of their cookery school and cocktail making lesson offerings, something myself and a few fellow bloggers were invited to.
Photo: Word In Veg Ways

Photo: Word In Veg Ways

To get the party started we had the opportunity to make cocktails under the tuition of the restaurant’s mixologist.  We were all tasked with making a Strawberry Mojito using rum, gomme, strawberry syrup and mint garnishes.   I was awash with instant reminders of the 80’s classic Slush Puppy as the syrup met the crushed ice, but of course this was a more sophisticated and grown-up version especially with the rum flowing liberally! J  With numerous bottles to work with and industrial looking stirrers, it was fun to have a go albeit I was personally a little heavy handed with the strawberry syrup!
 
Photo: Word In Veg Ways
Photo: Word In Veg Ways

With bottles of Chang and Singha beer gracing the table, we were all given the first of the starters to try from the Father’s Day menu -  Tom-Kha Soup.  Whilst the others had the chicken version, I had a tofu one.  With a note to chefs in advance, they also catered for my chilli allergy and adjusted the recipe accordingly which (as always), I really welcomed.

Photo: Word In Veg Ways

A tofu, coconut based soup infused with galangal, lemongrass, kafir lime leaves and straw mushrooms.  It was creamy yet delicate with multiple flavours coming through.  Very enjoyable.

Photo: Word In Veg Ways


Photo: Word In Veg Ways

Photo: Word In Veg Ways

Secondly from the Starter menu we had Vegetable Spring Rolls which we had to make in the cookery school area under the supervision of the chef.  Pairing up with Alev from the blog Bella & Robot, we took it in turns to finely shred the carrot and cabbage and wok fry it with glass noodles and spices.  The rolling up in the spring roll wrappers procedure somewhat differed between Alev and I.  She made dainty cigar shaped rolls (very professional looking), whilst I focused on the volume of filling (I never deny myself filling) and so mine took on a kind of rotund, portly appearance.  However, never judge a spring roll by its cover - once we’d deep fried them they both tasted really nice with a good mix of textures with every bite.    Never having made my own spring rolls before, I was rather proud of my first achievement, however, I’ll be aiming for them to look like Alev’s next time………. #springrollenvy.


Photo: Word In Veg Ways
Photo: Word In Veg Ways
 

So after a little of the Masterchefing, we moved onto Main Course tasting which were made for us in advance so it was back to the dining table to have those.  Again, highlighting my chilli allergy, the team at Chaophraya made me a Tofu & Tamarind Curry with Jasmine Rice.  This wasn’t quite on the Father’s Day menu, but was created in lieu of what was and something that can be done if visitors provide sufficient notice ahead of dining.  There was a good flavour tanginess from the tamarind which was absorbed by the tofu pieces and the rice.  Although there was no chilli present, I did have an allergic reaction to another little spice present which prevented me from being able to finish it (despite it being delicious what I had).  Not the fault of Chaophraya at all, as they weren’t to know and I couldn’t pin point it.  They kindly wanted to get me a substitute dish, but I declined as I had eaten quite a lot during the course of the evening anyway so I was fine.
 
Photo: Word In Veg Ways

Their eagerness to make sure I was catered for both before and during the event was an appreciated trait.  If you’re in the same boat as me, always worth ringing ahead to see what they can do for you.
Photo: Word In Veg Ways


Thinking about the Cocktail Making and Cookery School samplers, they were good fun and informal – an ideal activity for those of all culinary abilities and I guess perfect for teambuilding or hen parties and the like.
 
Photo: Word In Veg Ways

The Father’s Day Menu features a number of vegetarian and meat dishes (plus some meat options can be converted into vegetarian ones).  Considering the usually inflated prices for occasions such as Father’s Day, their menu comes in at fantastic value of £14.95 per person for 2 courses and a bottle of Singha or Chang beer. 
 
Photo: Word In Veg Ways

Well worth a visit to ‘the place covered in grass’ whether it be for Father’s Day, Graduation celebrations or just because you fancy some good old Thai food or for a bit of a culinary class.  Plus central Birmingham is easier to get to than Bangkok!

~~~
For more information visit:  http://chaophraya.co.uk/

~~~
Disclosure:    This post has been written following an invitation from Chaophraya to sample their Father's Day menu.  This review was conducted honestly without bias and I was not required to produce a positive review.  For further details of my PR policy, please see the Press, PR & Food Writing page of this website.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment