Thursday, 26 May 2016

Launch Night - Be At One Birmingham


I am quite choosy when I go out these days, I like to find places where I don’t feel too old, but somewhere where I can still have a fun time.  Sometimes it can be tricky to judge and of course places change so it can be hard to keep up with where’s good.

Well, good news.  I’ve found somewhere new to go to which fits the bill.  Welcome to Birmingham, Be At One.

Already a well-known brand in London, this bar offers cocktails on a diverse scale – 150 different ones to be exact with challenging taste combinations that become a talking point.

For those with bearings of Brum, here’s where it is:  Nestled within Piccadilly Arcade off New Street in central Birmingham, it has taken over where the old snooker hall used to be, to the side of what was once Diesel Clothing and right opposite the back entrance of Grand Central.  It’s a small doorway, you’d be forgiven for walking right past it – but don’t be deceived.
Inside Be At One
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

Any excuse to put my highest of heels on, as I tottered down the stairs on launch night, I could see that we had walked into a deceptive tardis of a venue, set out nightclub style.  I could see My Carnivorous Husband (MCH) making approving facial gestures as we headed towards the huge rectangular bar.  “It’s so nostalgic, but yet it feels current” he said.  Spot on MCH!  We agreed instantly we liked it.
 


Checking out the menu, I flicked straight over to the vodka section and whilst the usual suspects were present (Woo Woos, Cosmopolitans), I was keen taste their signature cocktails not found elsewhere.
 
Swedish Death Nettle
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways


I was instantly drawn to the macabre sounding:  Swedish Death Nettle.   A combination of Absolut Elyx vodka, Nettle cordial, lemon juice, chilled English breakfast tea and soda water.  On paper, they are a clash of flavours (vodka and tea?!) but in reality it was really refreshing and a great opportunity to try something different – in particular, something ‘nettley’.  I’d have this again for sure.
 
Svenska Detox
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways


Sticking with the vodka and the Swedish theme, I opted for Svenska Detox which had hints of vegetable.  Vegetables in cocktails, it’s a new one on me.  Worth a shot I thought.  A blended mix of: Absolut Citron vodka, lime juice, agave, pineapple chunks, spinach and kale.  It was quite thick and very smoothie-esque, but nice.  All the goodness from the spinach and kale was counterbalancing my alcohol consumption which was a positive.  I would have this again but perhaps reserve it for those times when feeling under the weather when you welcome a little tot of something to warm the bones, with an injective lift of vitamin goodness to give your immune system a boost – those kind of times.
 
Candy Pants
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways


Next was the cutesy, flirty entitled Candy Pants which was a mixture of Absolut Kurant vodka, Chambord, lemon juice, strawberry puree and cranberry juice.  It was sweeter than I imagined (perhaps a smidgen too sweet for me) but yet quite fruity.  It is a good option for those that don’t like their cocktails too top heavy with alcohol.
 

Virgin Mary
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

MCH who was nominated driver for the evening, enjoyed a number of ‘mocktails’ including the Virgin Mary.  A vodka free version of a Bloody Mary, it contained black pepper, horseradish, celery salt, Worcester sauce, tabasco, tomato juice and he enjoyed the spicy kick it gave.
Happy, Smiley Bar Staff
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways
 

Hanging at the bar, you have to make sure you catch the bar tender’s attention as it is so busy and although the cocktail making process can be a little long (but all made from scratch so you need to make allowances for this), their enthusiasm and friendly banter make up for it.   It very much reminded me of the style of Tom Cruise’s character Brian Flanagan in the film ‘Cocktail’.  (Remember that)??!

I have to applaud the music, a superb mix of 80’s/90’s/00’s with current tunes it gives the place an infectious energy and gives you that ‘night out’ feeling without it being overwhelming and we certainly felt ‘in place’ not ‘out of place’.

I’ve told a number of people about Be At One since my visit and that they need to go and they’ve all come back echoing my thoughts, so that’s a good thing.

It’s a great place, it’s centrally located and even if you don’t like cocktails - beers, other alcoholic drinks and mocktails/softs are all available so everyone’s happy. 

Let me tell you, on the journey home, with the drinks leaving me quite merry and the ‘Cocktail’ film soundtrack sub consciously whizzing round my head, I reflected on what a jolly time I had had.   So much so in fact, my high heels are all buffed up ready to go and I’m planning my next visit very soon…..

~~

Disclosure:    This post has been written following an invitation to the launch night of Be At One Birmingham.  This review was conducted honestly without bias and I was not required to produce a positive review.  For further details of my PR policy, please see the Press, PR & Food Writing page of this website.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment