Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Hola! El Borracho de Oro

Edgbaston has changed.  Once a predominantly commercial hub packed with offices and office workers (I was one of them in the 90’s/00’s), the dynamics have shifted and as the reincarnation into Edgbaston Village unfolds, its change to a leisure/dining destination in its own right is becoming more and more apparent.
 
El Borracho de Oro
Photo:  c/o El Borracho de Oro


Joining all the other newbies in the village is El Borracho de Oro.  Snuggling into its abode on Harborne Road, the restaurant offers an informal Spanish atmosphere with a tapas leaning.
Emma & Ignacio
Photo:  c/o El Borracho de Oro
 

Supported by her Spanish family links, meeting Emma Yufera -Ruiz the owner, her passion for the provision of authentic Spanish food is so blaringly evident.  This is Emma’s 4th authentic Spanish restaurant in 6 years and focuses on the mission of wanting people to have the ultimate up-close-and-personal Spanish experience rather than an artificial one mocked up by chain outlets.
 
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways
 
Trying to desperately rack my brain for vocab from my GCSE Spanish years and equally desperate to sound more Spanish than Brummie when pronouncing the name, I find out that El Borracho de Oro was inspired by a bar in Granada and translates as ‘the golden drunk’ – in a positive way, referring to someone’s refined tastes, someone who drinks only good wines.  (Oro = gold.  There - I knew I’d remember it in the end)……...


Live Music at the Restaurant
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

When visiting recently, the welcome was warm as was the décor, I could see the Iberian feel flowed throughout.  The live music that was playing, made it feel instantly Hispanic, a feature that I’m told is a regular event. 

Photo:  Word In Veg Ways


Object d’art decorate the burnt orange painted walls and are all sourced from Spain (and not brought en masse from UK gift shops).    Plus, the serving team are mostly Spanish including Head Chef Ignacio Castells Rusiñol.
 
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways
 
All wines and beers are authentically Spanish and served from the 7 metre long bar.   The food boasts locally sourced ingredients or is selected from free range Spanish producers.  As a good point to note, Emma is keen to promote their readiness to cater for all dietary requirements and allergies.  
 
Photo:  c/o El Borracho de Oro
 

And as such for me the nitty gritty is knowing what is on the vegetarian menu.  Firstly, there is a whole standalone egg menu offering tortillas in every which way possible.  Other items include:

Pimientos de Padron (Fried Baby Green Peppers), Mushroom Croquetas (Crispy Croquets of Mushrooms & Bechamel), Bravas Potatoes Spicy Tomato Sauce and Alioli (Garlic Mayonnaise),   Pimientos de Padron (Fried Baby Green Peppers), Sauteed Asparagus Roasted Garlic & Romescu Sauce, Roasted Piquillo Pepper stuffed with Mushroom Wild Spinach Manchego Cheese and Tomato & Avocado Salad.
 
Veggie Tapas
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

Cheese Board
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

During my visit, whilst tapping my feet to those latino rhythms, I sampled the Spanish cheese board with quince jelly (which had a number of vegetarian cheeses present) which was an urbane way to kerb those munchies which appeared after a glass or two of cava.

I’ve bought in on Emma’s desire to bring the subtleties of Spain to the Midlands’ masses with her ‘mi casa su casa’ approach, it makes me want to explore the menu further and with lunchtime/Tuesday night specials, it’s a tad more accessible than flying to mainland Spain to get my tapas fix. 

And by the time of my next visit, who knows, I may remember a bit more of my GCSE Spanish repertoire and if not, to hell with it, I’ll order another bottle of cava from the 7 metre long bar.  It might help to jog my memory along a bit…….
 
~~

Notes:
El Borracho de Oro
Harborne Court - 65 & 67 Harborne Road - Birmingham - B15 3BU
http://www.elborracho.co.uk 
www.edgbastonvillage.co.uk  

~~

Disclosure:    This post has been written following an invitation to sample tapas and drinks at El Borracho de Oro.  This review was conducted honestly without bias and I was not required to produce a positive review.  For further details of my PR policy, please see the Press, PR & Food Writing page of this website.  Also I'm still trying to remember all my Spanish vocab - mind you, it was well over 20+ years when I sat the exam.
 
 
 
 
 


 

 

 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment