Saturday, 26 March 2016

Culinary Captures - March 2016

The end of March is upon us and it’s also Easter weekend!  I hope you are all enjoying having some time off with lots of Easter treats to boot!

As always with my Culinary Captures round-up, I bring you some foodie ideas that have come my way which I hope you will find of interest and that you may wish to explore over the weekend break and into April.
 

 

Vegetables in cakes aren’t a new thing as carrots, beetroot and courgette have already been in the mix in the baking world for many years. 

However as something new (to me), I recently spotted  Chocolate Torte with Aubergine via cake purveyors Blackberry Cottage  and thought how wonderful to combine two of my favourite things together as I’ve never seen aubergine cake before!
Chocolate & Aubergine Torte
Photo:  c/o Blackberry Cottage
 
Available to purchase, it is described as rich, dark, dense and ideal as a dinner dessert, it contains ground almonds, dark chocolate and aubergine and topped with a few raspberries and a dollop of crème fraiche. 

I’m yet to try it, so let me know what you think if you get chance to do so before me!

For more details, check out their link here.

 
~~~

My last blog post was about a great lunch I had recently at Chi Kitchen in Birmingham.  Expanding on this, they are launching a revised new breakfast menu with special offers which I know Brummies heading into the city centre each morning will be keen to hear more about.
Photo:  c/o Chi Kitchen

The restaurant, which is situated inside the Bullring’s Debenhams store, recently announced its partnership with the 2014 MasterChef winner, Ping Coombes. 

Following a month long trip to Malaysia, Ping Coombes said, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for all cultures. I gained so much food inspiration from my trip which has influenced my additions to the Chi Kitchen breakfast menu. I’m excited to find out what people think! As always, the food will be packed full of flavour and colour and I really hope to add that ‘wow’ factor to breakfast.”

An Asian–inspired breakfast item would be for example: Dorayaki (Japanese pancakes with matcha green tea powder).

One special offer is that Chi Kitchen are introducing an 88p breakfast! This is an ongoing offer throughout April starting on the 1st for the first 20 customers every morning that choose to dine at the restaurant.
Exotic Fruit Salad - Chi Kitchen
Photo:  c/o Chi Kitchen

The ‘lucky’ 88p breakfast stems from 88 being a highly auspicious number in Chinese tradition which brings with it the power to generate great luck and good fortune- so hence customers can enjoy a lucky start to their day via an 88p breakfast at Chi Kitchen.

And if you feel that luck really is on your side then you could also win 88p breakfasts for an entire year at the city-centre eatery! To win, all you have to do is tweet at @ChiKitchenFood using the hashtags #ChiMoment #88pbreakfast and tell them the luckiest thing that’s ever happened to you.

Breakfast is served from 9.30am until 12pm Monday-Saturday, and from 10.30am to 12pm on Sundays. The full breakfast menu can be viewed  at : http://www.chikitchen.co.uk/Birmingham.html

Enjoy and good luck!

~~~

I really wanted to try the drinks from  NIX&KIX when I came across them recently, but as their products contain cayenne chilli (which I am allergic to) I haven’t been able to sadly. 

However, I wanted to bring them to your attention as I’m sure there are plenty of readers out there that handle the heat and will really enjoy trying their products out.
Photo:  c/o Nix&Kix

NIX&KIX is range of soft drinks with a unique ingredient – cayenne chilli.  Labelled as a grown-up soft drink, the cayenne chilli promises to gives a ‘kick’ when consumed which provides enough of a unique taste factor without having to resort to using refined sugar for flavour enhancement. 
 
Nix&Kix Drinks
Photo:  c/o Nix&Kix
 

Equally, it has no fizz or anything artificial present and comes in flavours such as Rich Mango & Zingy Ginger, Cool Cucumber & Fresh Mint and Succulent Peach & Smooth Vanilla.

For more information including local stockists, visit: www.nixandkix.com

~~~

Note:  All items/services featured have been personally selected and I have not received any incentive or compensation to feature them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment