Saturday, 9 January 2016

Ukrainian Community in Birmingham




 

This post I know isn't food connected but with it having strong links with many of the food posts I write relating to my Ukrainian heritage, I thought it may be of interest to you.

My Ukrainian heritage stems from my father who came to the UK in 1948 after World War II and settled in Birmingham thereafter. 

Gradually, a community formed and the Ukrainians found kinship with each other whilst settling into a new life.

In the 1980's, my father wrote a document outlining how the community formed so that subsequent generations (for those like me), would have a memoir to refer to.

Many Brummies/West Midlands people will know Dr Carl Chinn from local press and TV, as well as being a lecturer at University of Birmingham and a champion of local history. 

I contacted Dr Chinn about the document to see if anything could be done to preserve it and he kindly offered to feature it in his monthly Brummagem magazine which catalogues different regional stories from yesteryear.

The article is present in this month's edition and is available to purchase online or directly from WHSmith on High Street in Birmingham city centre (opposite Marks & Spencer for those that know the city).

The document itself is available to read and/or use for research at Birmingham Central Library in their Archive department.  Contact them directly for information.

Like those that trace their heritage through ancestry websites to find out more about their lineage, I too feel that my heritage is important and I try to preserve it any way I can and so I am thrilled that it is has been documented through Dr Chinn's work. 

I hope you enjoy reading it.


~~~
 
For information about Brummagem visit:  http://www.carlchinnsbrum.com/ 

1 comment:

  1. As someone who's very interested in local history, I find your blogpost fascinating. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete