Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Review of New Autumn Menu at Bistro 1847

 
Photo: Word In Veg Ways

 
Birmingham has become fond of veggie trail blazing restaurant Bistro 1847 and its popularity amongst vegetarians and equally meat eaters alike has grown massively since it opened in the city a couple of years ago.
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways
 

Having eaten there many times both in my blogger’s guise and independently with friends, it was with pleasure (and must excitement) that I accepted their kind invitation to review their new autumnal menu.
Silver Birch Décor
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways
 

My mother joined me, who has adopted a flexitarian approach in recent years and her knowing my fondness for Bistro 1847, she was delighted to accompany me to see for herself how good it is.

Photo:  Word In Veg Ways


Admittedly, not having been there for probably about a year, I was nice to have that familiarity of the restaurant still keeping its Scandinavian minimalistic vibe but with a few new tweaks.  Their ‘Welcome to Nature’ strapline is emphasised by forest inspired imagery, wooden silver birch hangings and autumnal art work.
Autumn Pictures
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

To start proceedings off, we chose some Organic Blanc Light Fruity Bordeaux White Wine to accompany our meal with alongside some complimentary water.  The list of soft drinks was quite short in our opinion but nevertheless we opted for some cranberry juice as neither of us had had any in a long while so we thought why not.
Mossy Décor
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways
 

Perusing the new lunch menu it was good to see that there were 5 choices available per course, making our selection all the more of an elongated process (a rarity for me and one I thoroughly devoured).
Puy Lentils
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways
 

Kicking off with starters, Mum chose the:  Puy Lentil with Roasted Carrot, Spring Onions & Garlic Tofu.

She commented that the puy lentils were tender, the carrots were sweet and the spring onions in oil were extremely tasty as was the sauce that went with it.  The lentils were served warm and cooked just enough to provide a little bite.  Her thoughts were it was a good combination of ingredients that worked well together.
Whipped Feta with Radish
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways


I had the Whipped Feta with Radish, Brown Butter Leeks, Sesame Seeds & Dill Oil.  The radishes’ bitterness against the cheese was a good contrast and never having had feta in a whipped format before, I was pleasantly surprised.  Its consistency was like a thick cheese spread.  I did feel it needed some bread so not to waste the cheese and dill oil which was gladly given when requested.
Halloumi Battered
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

For mains, seeing as it was Mum’s first time at Bistro 1847, I suggested she have the Halloumi Battered with Potato Chips, Pea Emulsion & Lemon Curd.  Admittedly I was a tad envious as I adore this dish but I was grateful to have a little taste of it to satisfy my curiosity.  Well, it was as beautiful as ever.  My mother agreed and was ‘mmmm’ing between each mouthful.  The pea puree and the hint of lemon from the lemon curd really built up the flavours well.  This dish cannot be praised enough.
Caramelised Cauliflower
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways
 

As much as I wanted the Halloumi too, I decided we should have different things to vary it up.  I had the Caramelised Cauliflower with Wild Rice, Bulgur Wheat, Crispy Hen Egg & Red Mustard Frill .  Not being a massive fan of eggs on their own, I asked if it could be substituted and the waitress came back with the suggestion of polenta instead of egg which I accepted.    Overall, it was pleasant, but needed a sauce to go with it (which the egg <if soft boiled> would’ve provided that had I have had it) but as polenta chosen instead, it needed something.    The burnt ashen taste of cauliflower was good and the rice and bulgur wheat made it a filling dish.
Earl Grey Cake
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways


Desserts were a must and the options were quite inventive.  Mum went for:  Earl Grey Cake with Beetroot Jam, Fresh Raspberries & Passion Fruit.   The beetroot sauce and passion fruit were a good pairing and a good offset of sweet versus bitter.  The cake element was softly baked and red in colour, but there wasn’t a strong Earl Grey taste coming through, however, that’s doesn’t detract from the whole dessert as it was excellent.
Triple Chocolate Brownies
Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

I went for the Triple Chocolate Brownies with Blackcurrant Coulee, Ginger Gel, Blackberries & Crème Fresh.  The brownies weren’t spongy as some brownies can be, instead they were fudgey, thick and dense.  I absolutely loved it and the sourness of the blackcurrant was tongue tingly!  The ginger didn’t come through as strongly as I anticipated, but a hint of it was probably enough as it may have been too overpowering otherwise.  A darling of a dessert and essential for all chocolate lovers.

The new menu is varied with some good combinations that again proves veggie food doesn’t have to be boring.  The Halloumi is still on the menu, for which I’m delighted, it has become their signature dish and I hope that it will remain a constant on the menu in years to come.  And when I next visit, I’ll be having it again rest assured.

Photo:  Word In Veg Ways

As our lunch came to an end, I took a minute to reflect on our visit (whilst finishing my wine) and I noted how full the restaurant had become and how speculative diners were being told to come back later as it was so busy – so I’m pleased for Bistro 1847 as there is clearly so much adoration for them and the affordable lunch time deal helps which also makes it more accessible to all. 

Not been?   Then it’s time you did and definitely have the Halloumi!

~~

 
Disclosure:    This post has been written following a kind invitation from Bistro 1847 to sample their new menu.    This review was conducted honestly without bias and I was not required to produce a positive review.  For further details of my PR policy, please see the Press, PR & Food Writing page of this website. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some great food on the menu! I like the puy lentils starter and the rest of the dishes sound really good too. I will keep this in mind for the future when I am in Birmingham.

    ReplyDelete