Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Marmalade Birmingham


The Rep Bar is how I knew it back in the 1990’s.  I used to hear about it every Monday at college as the girls I knew back then were obsessed about the city’s footballers that used to frequent there on a Saturday night.   That’s how I remember The Rep Bar.

Fast-forward 23 years and its reincarnation as Marmalade is a welcomed addition to Birmingham’s food scene.

Part of the Bitters & Twisted Group, which has already given a facelift to a number of Brummie haunts, Marmalade offers the full monty from pre-theatre drinks to full dining menus.


Packed to the rafters before the 7:30pm showing of ‘The King’s Speech’ (with the wonderful Jason Donovan!), my carnivourous husband and I had a cheeky little drink before curtain up and took the opportunity to take a look around.

We witnessed a buzzing atmosphere, eclectic décor, great cocktail list and a really tempting, contemporary food menu with lots of vegetarian dishes that made me go “mmmmmmm…..”
 

Mediterranean Vegetable Crumble, Tofu, Roast Tomato Sauce, Spinach & Figs or Roast Aubergine, Lentil, Feta, Basil Leaves, Chickpeas, Croutons, Curry Oil, Raisins, Shiitake Mushroom Salad are some examples available and receives a big thumbs up from me as a veggie. Such is my enthusiasm, I even gave a copy of Marmalade’s menu to the venue hired for my works event to show them how us veggies like to be catered for, highlighting we like something more exciting than gnocchi.  

So, we had a date with Jason Donovan that night, time was of the essence and we were only able to have a drink that night, but after enjoying our aperitif and mini-tour around, we agreed we’d return to sample the meals next time.  You know, the ones that made me go “mmmmmmm………”

No comments:

Post a Comment