Sunday, 5 April 2015

Bircher Muesli


The third in my Flahavan’s trilogy of #PerfectPorridge offerings, comes by way of a Bircher’s Muesli.

I'm quite late to the Bircher’s party, but I’ve always thought, “I must have a go at that” but I've never quite got round to it……….

Having my Flahavan’s porridge oats to hand, there is no excuse and I felt it's now time to get acquainted with all things Bircher’s!
 
 

So, what is Bircher’s Muesli?  Founded in the 1890’s in Zurich by Swiss Dr Bircher-Benner, he created a muesli that he felt offered his patients a recuperative boost.  The secret to which he believes was down to the apple juice and apple slices he used.   Apples he felt were a factor in his recovery from jaundice in younger years and he became zealous in his approach to using them.  Married up with other typical muesli ingredients, it became internationally known as Bircher’s Muesli and has increased in popularity within recent years.
 
 

Other than the apple elements, there are no hard or fast rules with how you make it, celebrity chefs such as Jamie Oliver and Yotam Ottolenghi have all furnished us with their versions, but a lot of it is down to personal preference and choice.
 
 

Here is my version, milk-free (as you may know I’m not a milk drinker per se), packed with a lot of my favourite things, it makes for a good low-GI breakfast and it will be something I shall enjoy eating over the Easter weekend!
 
 

 

Bircher Muesli

Serves one

75g-100g Flahavan’s Oats (quantity dependent on personal preference)

Apple Juice (approx.  half a mug's worth, but enough to cover the oats)

Half an apple (sliced)

2 tblsp Greek Yoghurt

2 tsp Chia Seeds
 
Other toppings as desired

 

  • Soak the oats in apple juice in a cereal bowl.  Cover in clingfilm. 
  • Leave overnight.
  • Stir the oats in the morning, add in apple slices and yoghurt.
  • Add the chia seeds and any other toppings.
  • Ready to eat!

 


 Disclosure:   
           This post has been written following receipt of a #PerfectPorridge Breakfast Kit from Flahavan's Oats.    This is one of three posts.  This review was conducted honestly  without bias and I was not required to produce a positive review.  For further details of my PR policy, please see the Press, PR & Food Writing page of this website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment