Friday, 20 March 2015

Oat Crunch Ice Cream


I’ll be honest, I’m not really a porridge person.  So when I was approached to participate in Flahavan’s #PerfectPorridge campaign I didn’t think I would be able to take part. 
 
 

But when thinking about the oats themselves, I thought about porridge alternatives and the fact you can do so much with oats, so I thought yes, I will take part but use them in a different way.
 

So here is my idea number one: 

Everyone knows about crumble toppings for hot fruit desserts but I discovered a nice variation of this theme for use on ice cream instead.

I made my topping batch whilst I was roasting something else to maximise the oven usage.  (My mother would be proud of me for that!!)

This is a great solution for those dessert emergencies if you have unexpected visitors or if you just feel you need something sweet at the end of a long day, you can give good old fashioned ice cream a make-over with a drizzle of molasses to give a sharp sweet taste and a good sprinkle of oat crumble for texture.

Create the topping using Flahavan oats for extra crunch and follow the recipe below.

You’ll have a quick and easy dessert combination that looks great, tastes fantastic and yet started out as just a handful of humble oats………….
 
 

 



Oat Crunch Ice Cream

50g Plain Flour
30g Butter
30g Brown Sugar
25g Flahavan Porridge Oats
2 scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream
Drizzle of Pomegranate or Grape Molasses
Handful of Cocoa Nibs/Chocolate Shavings/Decoration of Choice
 
 
Oat Crumble ready for the oven
 

·    Place the flour and butter together in a bowl and rub together with your fingers until it resembles bread crumbs.

·    Stir in the brown sugar and Flahavan Porridge Oats.

·    Pat the mixture into a baking tray.

·    Bake in the oven – gas mark 5 for 15/20 minutes (middle shelf) until golden brown, stirring it half-way through the baking time to ensure all the mixture is baked fully.
 
·    Allow to cool.

·    Scoop the ice cream into a bowl.

·    Drizzle the pomegranate/grape molasses onto the ice cream.

·    Scatter the crumble mix (break it up with your fingers if it has gone hard) over the ice cream.

·    Dress with cocoa nibs or other decoration as desired.
 
 
~~~
Disclosure:   
           This post has been written following receipt of a #PerfectPorridge Breakfast Kit from Flahavan's Oats.    This is one of three posts.  This review was conducted honestly  without bias and I was not required to produce a positive review.  For further details of my PR policy, please see the Press, PR & Food Writing page of this website. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment