Monday, 28 July 2014

Halloumi & Strawberry Salad

 
Salad can get quite samey this time of year so it is nice to have an incentive to jazz things up.  I was invited by Florette to create a salad from their product range with my own spin.
 

I perused through a lovely recipe book called ‘A Salad for All Seasons’ by Harry  Eastwood (from Channel 4’s ‘Cook Yourself Thin’ series).  There are so many salad variations in there, beautiful photography to help depict each recipe complete with specific notes for vegetarians and which have a focus on different ingredients thus steering away from predictable salad bar options - great inspiration.  In addition, I was inspired by a salad I had seen on the menu at The Jockey Club restaurant in Ibiza earlier this summer - for Goat’s Cheese & Strawberry Salad and had made a note to try that some time.  But twisting that idea again, I ended up making Halloumi & Strawberry Salad.
I decided to make it pretty rather than just functional, (for speed, functional is how I make salads to have with my evening meal).  The salad was to accompany my mini barbeque for my husband and I  it was nice to have some salad greenery to balance out the other goodies from the grill.
 
I grilled my pieces of halloumi on the barbeque, although you can of course cook them on a griddle pan.  Then placing them on a bed of mixed soft/crispy leaves (I used the Florette Classic Crispy leaves), I added sliced beef tomatoes and wafer thin sliced cucumber.  The saltiness from the cheese with the sweetness of the strawberry contrasted well, combined with a balsamic glaze (that is renown to work with both elements), it provided the tastebuds with a medley of flavours and textures.
 
Certain fruits work well with salad and this is definitely the case with strawberries. 
Taking the salad to a further glamourous level, I added some edible flowers, which in this case were multi-coloured violas purchased from Waitrose.  Away from my barbeque dinner, this would make for a nice dinner party salad or a pretty side dish for a girly lunch.
Florette do have a nice range of salad bags that contain varying leaves according to preference – traditional leaf mixtures through to more unusual leaves (such as lollo rosso) and for those that like a fiery salad, there are peppered versions too.
Currently, Florette are running different salad recipes to give consumers ideas of how to vary salad intake – which is great either for your lunchbox, barbeque (as I did) or to give the wow factor at dinner parties.  Just take a look at the website:   http://www.florettesalad.co.uk/salad-recipes/
In the meantime, here is my Florette salad recipe which I hope you will enjoy too!
 

Halloumi & Strawberry Salad
 
Halloumi Cheese & Strawberry Salad
 
Serves 2
 
100g Halloumi Cheese (cut into strips)4  Strawberries (thinly sliced)100g of Florette Classic Crispy Salad
Drizzle of Balsamic GlazeDrizzle of Extra Virgin Olive oilGrinding of Pink Himalayan salt¼ of a Cucumber (thinly sliced)½ Beef Tomato (cut into cubes)
Scattering of Edible Flowers
Method
*  Barbeque or fry the halloumi strips in a griddle pan until golden brown.  Set aside.
Place the Florette leaves into a bowl.
Add the tomato, cucumber and strawberries.
Season with pink Himalayan salt.
Place the halloumi strips on top.
Drizzle the whole salad with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic glaze.
Scatter the edible flowers over the top.
Salad is ready to serve.

 
~~~~
Disclosure:  I was re-imbursed by Florette to cover my expenses for the Florette salad and was sent a complimentary copy of  'A Salad for all Seasons' book.  This post was written honestly without bias and I was not required to produce a positive review of the product purchased.  For further details of my PR policy, please see the Press, PR & Food Writing page of this website. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment