Sunday, 29 June 2014

The Jockey Club - Salinas - Ibiza

“You have to go there!”  “Honestly, it is a must, make sure you go!”  These were the verbal reviews I had of The Jockey Club before I headed off to Ibiza recently.  So armed with these plaudits, I felt I had to find out for myself if it lived up to its reputation once I landed on the ‘white isle’.
 

 
Set in the resort of Ses Salinas near to Ibiza airport (renown for the island’s salt production), The Jockey Club is a beach bar/restaurant which plays host and offers respite for the ‘beautiful people’ and the celebrities that adorn its beach area and who come and enjoy the chilled out ambience that The Jockey Club provides through its cocktail list, restaurant menu and DJ music.
 
Arriving in early June as I did, I was fortunate not to have to book a table but my understanding was that in the height of season (July/August), booking would be mandatory.  Getting a table for lunch we were shown to a large wooden bench table which we had to ourselves (these are shared in full season so I believe, in order to accommodate everyone).  The prices are not cheap, so take my advice of familiarising yourself with the menu ahead of going so that you are au fait with what to expect.
 
 
 
Appetisers at The Jockey Club
 
 
I was pleased to see that there were a few vegetarian choices on the menu which doesn’t always happen in Spanish restaurants as I’ve found over the years.   I chose the Stuffed Calzone Vegetal which was packed with aubergine, pumpkin, peppers, onion, carrot and cheese served with a side salad costing €19Euros.  The portion was massive!!  A rare situation occurred whereby I gave some to my husband to sample and share, and he agreed, it was delicious.  I was also tempted by the Goat’s Cheese & Strawberry Salad but in the end, I chose the Calzone, feeling that it would be more hearty.  My husband opted for one of the specials of the day which was Beef with Beetroot and Wild Berries – he enjoyed it tremendously (alongside a section of my calzone)!
 
 
 
 
Calzone Vegetal
 
Beef with Beetroot & Wild Berries
 
 
 
Of course, seduced by holiday fever and the mellow atmosphere, my scrumptious calzone was washed down with one of The Jockey Club’s Caipiroska Tropical cocktails which was a welcomed refreshment as the temperature was soaring towards 30 degrees.
 
Jockey Club Cocktail
 
 
 
 
Outside The Jockey Club, you can hire their sun loungers and enjoy the waiter-cocktail service all day as the DJ plays the beats and again, my understanding is that come July, getting a spot either inside or outside of The Jockey Club will be tricky due to its popularity.
 
The Jockey Club lends itself well for all ages with older people present down to small children and provides something for everyone.  I cannot praise it enough and as per what my friends were telling me, I’m saying to you all – “You have to go there!”   
 




Inside The Jockey Club


We had a truly wonderful, relaxing time there rounded off by some sunbathing on Salinas’ golden beach with echoes of the DJ in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment