Sunday, 13 April 2014

Paris Mash

I used to work with a couple of girls who (like me), used to enjoy perusing through online recipe sites and picking out meals to make at home.  One conversation led to the question – “Have you ever tried Paris Mash?”  Answer to that was no.  They enthused about its qualities as a gloriously, smooth mash that arguably excels the home-made rustic style mash most of us make for bubble & squeak and such like.
 
I parked the idea of Paris Mash for a while and it has only been recently that I have resurrected the thought of it again following my husband’s request for something “potatoey yet different”.  Googling the recipe, I saw that it is a signature dish at Bistro Guillaume in Australia, with a legion of fans and is often described as 'creamy and dreamy'.  Time to find out......
 
Trying to add a bit of ‘joie du vivre’ (keeping the Parisian theme going there!) into my version of the recipe, I thought about using some ingredients that I love albeit that I use sparingly.  So, to add a little colour and spice, I added some saffron threads to the hot milk element and some earthy Truffle Hunter delights I have in my pantry to finish the dish with, namely chopped  black truffle carpaccio and a drizzle of Truffle Hunter truffle oil.
 
 
 
In my husband’s eyes I completed the “potatoey yet different” challenge with aplomb, combined with the plaudit of “you have to do this again” echoing in my ears.  Who I am to argue?
 
Here’s the recipe if you want to try a little Paris Mash yourself and feel free to add whatever you like make it your own.
 

 ~~~
Boiling the potatoes
Saffron infused hot milk

Potatoes once mashed
Paris Mash served with Grilled Asparagus Spears


 
 
Paris Mash
 
 
Serves 4 as a side dish
 
4 large potatoes (almost jacket potato size)
Salt
200ml Hot Milk
Pinch of Saffron threads
1 large slice of Black Truffle Carpaccio (diced)
Drizzle of Truffle Oil (I used Truffle Hunter)
 
·         *  Peel and cut potatoes into cubes/wedges.
·         *  Boil in salted water until soft, drain and place back into the pan.
·         *  In the meantime, place the saffron threads into the milk.
·         *  Either boil or microwave the milk until it is warmed through.
·         *  Give the milk a stir so that the saffron can infuse into it – allow it to infuse for as long
         as possible.
·         *  Pour the milk into the pan with the potatoes in it.
·         *  Give it a stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
·         *  Using an electric blender stick, blitz the potato mixture until it is smooth and all lumps
         have been removed.
·         *  Add in the diced Carpaccio slice and drizzle the truffle oil on top of the mash.
·         *  Serve as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment