Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Good Hemp Range





Over the years, I've heard a lot of good things about hemp seeds and their multiple health benefits.  So I was really interested when approached to try out some hemp products from the GOOD range created by Braham & Murray.  

The GOOD range is made from hemp seeds grown by husband and wife team, Glynis and Henry, on their farm in Devon and they have worked extensively with other British farmers to grow perfect hemp seed crops, which incidentally require no pesticides/herbicides, so are excellent for the environment.  

It is also worth noting that the GOOD range only uses hemp that is grown under licence from the Home Office and doesn't contain THC (the psychoactive substance found in cannabis) and has no connection with the narcotic at all.
A little bit about hemp seeds themselves, naturally high in Omegas - 3, 6 and 9 they provide the body with essential fatty acids and are easily digestible.  
~~
I remember when oil choices in the supermarket consisted of either vegetable or sunflower and for those with a taste for the exotic, an expensive bottle of olive oil.
I love the fact that now choices have been extended to a wealth of different oils in a variety of flavours, infusions and uses.  One such oil is GOOD Hemp Oil.  Regularly seeing it on the shelves, I’ve always been curious about hemp oil compared to its more mainstream oil counterparts.  So when presented with the opportunity to try some I was delighted to indulge in my curiosity.

Studying the GOOD Oil  bottle and reading the back, I was intrigued to see that it is classed as a 'super food' and that GOOD Oil (made from 100% cold pressed hemp seed oil) has a wealth of benefits which include:
It contains 40% less saturated fat and 25 times more omega 3 than olive oil
Contains Omegas 3/6/9  
Zero transfats
        Award-winning and endorsed by celebrity chefs such as Jamie Oliver, its taste is nutty yet gentle, it wasn't overwhelming or heavy and was extremely pleasant.  I enjoyed frying and roasting with it (see mushroom picture below) as well as drizzling it on salads.
        Recently, I created an ultimate veggie 'super food' recipe focusing on non-meat protein ingredients and I used GOOD Oil as one of the ingredients.  Link for the recipe is here.
        
Chestnut Mushrooms fried in GOOD Oil

~~

In addition to the oil, I was also sent some GOOD Hemp Milk.   Dairy free, an alternative to milk and soya, containing omega 3, low in saturated fat and it is fortified with calcium and Vitamin D.  It states that it is cholesterol free and easy to digest making it ideal for those that suffer from bloating caused by dairy products.
Ideal for any occasion where milk is used - for cooking, for cereals, tea/coffee or just to drink as it is.  I used it to make a cheese sauce for a cauliflower bake and the sauce was rich, thick and creamy and made a nice change from dairy milk which I normally use.  However, it tasted a little too creamy when used in tea and coffee, so I wouldn't use it for that purpose again.
Although I have milk in my diet, just as a personal taste preference I don't drink it straight in the form of a plain glass of milk.  So I asked family to try GOOD Hemp Milk as a plain milk drink. None of them knew what to expect, but upon drinking they all agreed it was delicious, an almost sweet taste which was more palatable than dairy milk.
~~~


I enjoy eating seeds during the course of the day and either eat them as a snack or I eat bread containing seeds as a way of building them into my daily routine.  Another great way is consuming them with my breakfast cereal  as a topping.  GOOD Seed have their hemp seeds ground (shelled hemp) and packed ready to use which they define as their ‘sprinkle’ format, another item from their range which I was able to try.  This convenient way means you can use as much as is needed and then seal it away for another time.  Perfect for baking with or snacking, or as I did, sprinkle on top of my cereal with yoghurt and pomegranate seeds.  This discreet way of seed intake is perfect for making your breakfast a little more crunchy and turns it into more of an event.


Contains:
Omega 3 & 6
Rich in Protein
20 Amino acids


GOOD Hemp seeds on breakfast cereal with Pomegranate Seeds

~~ 
The GOOD Hemp collection is certainly one of those brands that when you see it you recognise it has positive benefits.  But upon inspection, you see that it beholds a multitude of advantages beyond original conception.   
A great range of goods using a valuable seed which is normally under promoted yet abundant in nutrients - suitable for vegetarian and vegan diets.  

The GOOD range will certainly be residing in my kitchen cupboards here on forward.
~~
Special Offer:  To purchase GOOD range items at a discounted rate, visit their website: http://www.goodwebsite.co.uk/ and when prompted, enter discount code: GOOD13.

Disclosure:  This post was written following kind receipt of  complementary items from the GOOD range.    This review was conducted honestly without bias and I was not required to produce a positive review.  For further details of my PR policy, please see the Press, PR & Food Writing page of this website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment