Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Lizi's Granola - New Cereal on the Block


I love eating muesli and granola type products for breakfast, especially when mixed with yoghurt and fresh fruit.  So, when I was recently offered the opportunity to sample Lizi’s Granola, I welcomed the chance to do so.

Getting to know the product a little better, I was quite charmed by Lizi’s own history and how her granola brand came to fruition.  Starting as a granola mix that she created herself for her guests at her Oxfordshire B&B guest house, it then went to market and became an established brand with  Lizi’s Granola now available nationwide.






One of its benefits is that as Lizi’s Granola is consumed, it provides  a slow release energy/GI  mechanism, releasing sugars slowly into the system so that you don’t have an immediate sugar rush or cravings soon after.  And true to its word, I am ordinarily one for my ‘elevenses’ and always become peckish at that time of day, however, when eating the granola, I have to admit I stayed full until lunchtime which proves it works as per its claim.

The ingredients are all natural, each has their own respective health benefit and the granola is packed with oats, seeds and nuts. In addition, there is an ingredient present called Oligofrutose which is a natural soluble fibre derived from chicory which acts as a prebiotic to maintain a healthy digestive system.  I'm all for that!

I sampled the Pecan & Treacle flavour which I anticipated to be quite sweet, however it was balanced perfectly, offering just enough sweetness and crunch, without it being overwhelming.  

There was a good mix of the ingredients (as outlined on the packet), which all complemented each other well.  I ate it with yoghurt which was delicious although with milk I’m sure would work well too.  Having chopped fruit on top would add an extra dimension to the granola as well as boosting your 5-a-day intake – a suggested fruit that would work well would be persimmon/Sharon fruit – see my former blog post for details http://bit.ly/ZyecS0 .  Another suggested option on the packet was to sprinkle some granola onto ice-cream to give it a crunchy topping and a variation for dessert.






Available from a number of nationwide supermarkets, a 400g pack on average would cost £3.69. Perhaps not economical for everyday breakfasts, however, I would certainly buy it to eat at weekends or when I’m having time-off, when I’m in a position to have leisurely breakfasts and can take my time to enjoy it with a nice mug of tea and the daily papers.  

All in all, well worth trying and a welcomed addition to my kitchen’s cereal cupboard!

~~~~~

Disclosure:  This post was written following receipt of a sample of Lizi's Granola.  This review was conducted honestly without bias and I was not required to produce a positive review.  For further details of my PR policy, please see the Press, PR & Food Writing page of this website. 


No comments:

Post a Comment