I was very mindful of samphire's salty properties and taking heed of the 'Do Not Salt' note on the packet, I balanced out the seasoning with lemon juice and pepper which worked very well.
Encompassing Quorn pieces, gnocchi and ramino peppers, my recipe was a delicious hearty meal stir-fried in home-made rosemary infused oil which, with salty samphire, is a quick meal, ideal for Mondays when you want something pronto after completing the first working day of the week (also an idea for 'Meat Free Mondays').
So even if you don't live by the coast, you can still enjoy a little taste-of-the-sea care of samphire on your own dinner plate. Give it a try and see what you think of the latest en-vogue veg on the block.
Quorn, Gnocchi & Samphire Stir-Fry (Serves 1)
Handful of Quorn Chicken Pieces
Gnocchi (as much as desired)
1 Ramino Pepper
Handful of Samphire
Oil (I used rosemary infused oil, but vegetable oil is fine too)
Lemon Juice and Ground black pepper
Optional: Few cubes of Blue Shropshire cheese
- Cook Quorn pieces and gnocchi as per packet instructions.
- In a separate frying pan, heat the oil and fry the ramino pepper, mushrooms and samphire - fry gently.
- When the Quorn and Gnocchi are cooked, drain and add to the frying pan.
- Stir-fry all ingredients together and add a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a good grinding of black pepper. Continue to fry until combined together.
- Serve in a bowl and add some cubes of Blue Shropshire cheese if desired.
Or if you fancy having a go at Hugh's recipe from River Cottage Veg: