Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Veggie Easter Day Roast Lunch

I once heard radio & TV presenter Johnny Vaughan describe Christmas Day Lunch as being the "Grand Prix of Sunday Roasts" and I have to say, I agree!  But when it comes to Easter Day Lunch, although it's observed, it seems without the same gusto as Christmas.  However, Easter has its own seasonal charm and it's a great excuse to get into the kitchen and get cooking! 

As is customary for Easter, lamb meat is usually the centre-piece of the roast.  Whilst for me as a veggie, I could make a nut roast, a veggie wellington parcel or some other alternative, but where possible, I try and have the same kind of meal as everyone else to share in the experience.  So, as luncheon pals tuck into their lamb shanks, my Easter Day Roast Lunch will consist of Quorn's Lamb-Style Grills in a mint & rosemary glaze.  These extremely tasty grills offer a delicious meat-free alternative and make a great roast accompaniment.  The veg I like to have on Easter Sunday are miniature new potatoes roasted in oil, with spring onions and dried tarragon and also a root veg mix of carrots, celeriac and parsnips which I sprinkle with sea salt and splash with balsamic vinegar before roasting.

As for dessert, my thoughts turn to Easter Egg Nest Cake (taken from Nigella Lawson's 'Feast' book).  It's a dense, rich and fabulously indulgent chocolate cake, sprinkled with Mini Eggs, which works beautifully with ice cream.

For those with room left for an Easter Afternoon Tea - check out my blog post for 'Easter Afternoon Tea' which also includes the Easter Egg Nest Cake mentioned above.

So get your table ready with some bunny pictured napkins, a vase full of daffodils and perhaps even some Easter Crackers (yes, you can get them!), put your Quorn Lamb Style grills in the oven and celebrate the start of Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment